Type 2 Diabetes Diet
If you are a foodie but you are suffering from type 2 diabetes, then you must feel that you are missing out much in the food world. But with this deadly disease you still can enjoy many meals and eat a lots of different types of food and relish every moment of your life. It does not mean that you have to give up food that you love, but you just have to learn the right combinations to make and avoid some things to stay fit, smart and healthy.
Type 2 diabetes is a deadly disease in which your body becomes insulin resistant, and does not use it properly and that leads to disturbance of your sugar level. So, your diet should be built up around the food that does not affect your blood glucose levels adversely.
Your type 2 diabetes diet plan must contain all types of food that is balanced and does not have excessive calories and should include healthy fats.
Your diet plan can have these things:
- Proteins- intake should have sources of proteins that have low saturated fat like fish or turkey. You can also take much variety of beans. Try taking serving of seafood twice or thrice a week. Nuts is also advisable but take small portions of the servings. Avoid processed meat like hot dogs etc.
- Grains- whole grains like wild rice, cereal containing fiber, whole grain bread and quinoa are beneficent in digestion and contain healthy vitamins and minerals. Avoid white rice, pastries, breakfast cereals and pasta.
- Dairy- plain nonfat yogurt is a great and versatile dairy alternative. One can add berries too, to add in its taste. Avoid taking sugary-full fat dairy products like chocolate milk etc.
- Vegetables- vegetables that are low in carb and high in fiber like broccoli, asparagus, carrots, cauliflower are good in this diet. One can intake a lots of non-starchy vegetables. You can add mashed potatoes to add flavor. Avoid starchy vegetables like corn and peas etc.
- Fruits- if you are craving for some sweet then eat fruits that will sweeten your taste buds as well as provide antioxidants and fiber. Berries are highly recommended. Avoid canned fruits because it has added sugar in it. Fruit juices should also be taken in moderate amount as they are high in sugar and don’t contain much nutrients compared to whole fruit.
- Fats- try eating avocados, pecan and almonds as they have fat that is healthy for our heart. Add walnuts and sunflower oil in your diet as it helps to lower high cholesterol levels. Strictly avoid saturated fats like butter, cheese and fried foods. Avoid Trans fats and hydrogenated oil in packed food products.
Different types of beans like including black, white, navy, lima, pinto, garbanzo, soy, and kidney are very good. Egg white is a good source of protein with less carbs and it can control sugar levels. Wild salmons have omega 3s which prevent heart diseases and a great combination of protein and healthy fats.
There is vast variety of food that you can add in your type 2 diabetes diet. Don’t feel sad. Just make sure to count the carbs and eat healthy fats. And don’t take anything in excessive amounts.